17.3.11

Bailey's, Pistachio, and Mint; Oh My

The cupcakes are a tad greener on the other side this week. For many, St. Patrick’s Day typically involves a little more potatoes, a little more corned beef, and a little more green food coloring than the average holiday. How do I celebrate today? Why with clover adorned cupcakes, of course.
Irish Cream Cupcakes
Earlier today, I ventured out to Ontario's beloved and adorable cupcake shop, My Delight Cupcakery; as per usual, they did not disappoint. They far exceeded my expectations with today’s St. Patty’s themed menu. While their award-winning Breakfast Cake will always remain numero uno in my stomach’s heart, three cupcakes more than satisfied my rumbly tummy today: the Irish Cream, the Thin Mint, and the Pistachio.

My favorite, naturally, was the Irish Cream; I'm a sucker for anything mocha. A rich, french chocolate, coffee-infused cake topped with Bailey's Irish Cream buttercream frosting, I could not resist. I would have happily eaten a baker's dozen of those babies if my tummy would let me. The best part was reaching the surprise mocha ganache stuffed inside.
The chocolate cake base of the Thin Mint tasted exactly like the popular Girl Scout cookie...well, in delightful cake form. The mint infused buttercream further enhanced the flavor of the bits of Thin Mints hidden inside. This is definitely the cupcake for the Girl Scout cookie obsessed. 
Thin Mint and Pistachio Cupcakes
The Pistachio cupcake reminded me of home. Growing up in the North East, Spumoni became my favorite ice cream flavor. I used to love when nobody would eat the green part, so more green ice cream for me. And this cupcake reminded me of that honest to goodness, real, homemade pistachio ice cream. The bits of pineapple infused in the pistachio cake was a surprising compliment, and the fresh, crumbled pistachio nuts provided a welcoming contrast to the cloud like texture of the pistachio buttercream. 

With every bite of cupcake, I was reminded of why MDC is my favorite. The moist, slightly dense cake; the fluffy, whopping dollop of velvety buttercream icing; the intense, rich flavor enhanced by second and third flavors surprisingly bursting from a single bite; these chefs know what they’re doing. With every cupcake I happily indulge in, it always tastes like they bake the sweetest bits of heaven in a little paper cup. 
- Shortcake

No comments:

Post a Comment