26.3.11

Chicken Cacciatore

Some of the tastiest Filipino entrees all have one thing in common: a tomato based sauce. Beef Kaldereta, Beef Mechado, Chicken Afritada, and Pork Menudo rely on tomatoes as a foundation to the delicious sauce that many Filipinos love to drench their rice in. That’s probably why my fondness for Italian food is so immense; there’s just something about a great tomato sauce that I can’t get enough of.
Chicken Cacciatore is incredibly similar to Chicken Afritada. The differences lie in the spices and condiments used, as well as the vegetables thrown in. While the Italian entrĂ©e relies on fresh basil, parsely, oregano, and a bit of mushroom, the Filipino dish calls for patis (fish sauce), potatoes, and sometimes peas. Since I didn’t have anymore patis in the pantry, I decided to go Italian. I used my friend’s family recipe, but this recipe is just as delicious.

Like with anything I cook, I changed my friend's recipe up a bit. I love potatoes drenched in tomato sauce, so I decided to add it in the pot, along with some spinach, since its life span was waning, and a nice dash of sweet hot sauce. With the crazy amount of ingredients, the pot looked like a symphony of vegetables having a party.
The result was tastier than I remembered, considering I hadn’t cooked the dish in a couple years. I’m glad that instead of pasta, I went Asian and ate it with, in my opinion, the best sauce absorbing starch: white rice. And because of the addition of chicken broth, a plethora of vegetables, and spices all stewing together, this tomato sauce is a far cry from the marinara sauce you can buy in a supermarket aisle.
The best part about this dish? Creating an amazing, scrumptious sandwich with the leftovers! I nestled the reheated, tomato bathed veggies and chicken within a soft, sweet molasses loaf, and then broiled a slice of American cheese on top. Cheese does wonders to any meal, and this sandwich was no exception. As if there was any doubt, considering that dishes like pizza and pastas include the marrying of cheese and tomatoes. I just wish I had more leftovers so I could have another Cheese Cacciatore Sandwich.  
- Shortcake

No comments:

Post a Comment