1.4.11

French Grilled Cheese Toast

It’s the first day of one of the tastiest months of the year, and I couldn’t be more ecstatic. Even though I’ve decided to forego the pranking this year, which is borderline shocking if you know my past history, this first day of April still kicked *bum* for one reason. Cheese, gooey, salty, sharp, nutty, buttery, cheese. Get your cheese hats on because it’s National Grilled Cheese Month, peeps!
As it just so happens, grilled cheese is #2 on my “Favorite Comfort Foods Ever” list, with the almighty Elvis sandwich barely edging out the competition at #1. One of my favorite attributes of grilled cheese is its versatility, offering myriad meal possibilities. In its simplest form, the sandwich is a wondrous compliment to a wide array of soups and salads, or it is the shining star of a child’s after school meal. In its most complicated form, vegetables, meats, herbs, spices, and even French fries can all lend an enthusiastic hand in forming some of the tastiest, cheesy sandwiches imaginable.

Because it’s a Lenten Friday, I left the fanfare of meat out in today’s sandwich. But, I still wanted to give the classic a lively twist. That’s when it occurred to me, brunch. I love weekend brunch. I love the array of meal possibilities that combines the sweet and the savory, the familiar and the unique, and syrup with anything. Most of all, I love that it grants me the opportunity to order French toast at 12:30 in the afternoon when everyone else is ordering a steak. So, I’m kicking off this month by further brunch-ifying the simple grilled cheese sandwich. I say further because on its own, grilled cheese can be brunch.
Fresh baked French baguette from La Brea bakery
What resulted was a simple, miniature, open faced sandwich which could be served as a snack, appetizer, or even a mini meal. I went for classic and basic, refrigerator staples and it’s fairly quick to whip up. Now I know I’m not the first to think up this concept, but it’s definitely the first time I’m trying it out.
I love the cinnamon scent that rises during the French toasting process.
The fresh, French baguette was a light and airy alternative to dense, Texas sliced white bread. French toasting the baguette melded extra flavors into an otherwise commonplace sandwich. The tart, Granny apple lent crunchy texture and was a compliment to the cinnamon and nutmeg. Pure, whole American cheese provided the salty gooeyness I had been craving the past couple days.
Just starting to melt
After a few bites, I realized that French toasting the bread provided a definite oomph to the meal, lifting the sandwich to a higher level. In the future I may add more depth by using different cheeses, like Fontina or Gruyere, or even different bread, like Challah. And maybe next time I’ll remember to drizzle a little syrup or honey on top before I devour the entire thing.
Shadows from the sunset.
Gear up your tummies kids, because your grilled cheese is going to get French-ed today.

French Grilled Cheese Toast
Serves 4
  • 1 regular or 2 small French baguettes
  • 2 slices American cheese
  • 1 Granny smith apple
  • 1 large egg
  • ¼ cup buttermilk, or regular milk
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • ½ tsp Nutmeg
  • ½ - 1 Tb butter, for frying
  • Syrup or honey, optional
  1. Slice the apple into at least 16 thin slices. Set aside.
  2. Beat the egg and milk together. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg. I used more cinnamon and nutmeg than what I wrote in the recipe because I love a strong cinna-meg taste.  
  3. Slice the baguette on a bias into 4 thick slices, at least 1 inch. Soak the slices in the egg mixture on both sides.
  4. Heat and butter frying pan. Fry the soaked baguette slices on both sides.
  5. Add ½ slice of cheese on top of each baguette slice. Cover and let the steam melt the cheese slightly. This step is easier and faster if the cheese is set out early and reaches near room temperature.
  6. Top each slice of cheesed French toast with 4 thin slices of apple.
  7. Plate and enjoy! If you have a sweet tooth, use syrup or honey as a dip.
- Shortcake

2 comments:

  1. First off: Yum, yum, and yum that looks delish! Also, just wanted to add that I also love fries dipped in milkshakes and don't understand when people think that's weird. Lastly, and most importantly, when you guys open a restaurant (something themed, like very Tropical or a little cafe type place with a splash of Filipino flare, or even a 5 star restaurant tucked away in Animal Kingdom) I demand a sandwich or dessert be named after me since I threw the idea out on your blog.

    Love, Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Jayne!!! So glad you enjoyed "Shortcake's" post. :) Oh man we totally should open a restaurant and serve "the Jayne." We must also serve a "Reuben" and then they will be pictured together on the menu b/c we already know it is destined to be adorable, haha.

    ReplyDelete