29.4.11

Grilled Cheese-Giving Feast

Yes, that's Mac and Cheese sandwiched in the middle.
Man, Grilled Cheese Month. You sped by faster than that dang bus Keanu and Sandra were trapped on fifteen years ago. But boy, did you live up to your name last week at LA’s Grilled Cheese Invitational. I expected a healthy amount of glorious cheese combinations, but GCI and its innovative food truck vendors offered more deliciousness than I could have dreamed for the appropriately bright, sun-filled day. I knew the food fest would be beyond satisfying as soon as I breathed in butter and cheese swirls in the air. Then I scanned the vendors’ menu. My mind boggled, my eyes bulged, and my tummy rumbled louder than a hungry pooh bear.
A mini convertible VW van! Tillamook provided delicious Grilled Cheddar and Pepper Jack Cheese Samples
What started out as a mere grilled cheese contest party among friends, grew into a behemoth cheese event now known as the Grilled Cheese Invitational. Since it was my first time attending, I was clueless as  what to expect; except, of course, bread, cheese, and butter. An event dedicated to just those three ingredients had to be worthwhile.
This is how you start a party. Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to be a Stilt-woman for a living
Best marching band costumes ever haha
Worthwhile was indeed an understatement. This year’s GCI was like combining the concepts of a Bobby Flay “Throwdown” with a wine and cheese party, but multiplying it by eleven-teen, throwing in some quality beer, an array of food/beverage samples, an actual cheese mascot, and an eccentric marching band that replaced color guards with eclectic folks on stilts. The day was gloriously cheesy, literally and figuratively. And boy did I encounter a multitude of creations I'm willing to attempt in the kitchen. 
From LA's most famous food truck: Grilled Cheese Truck's Signature, The Fully Loaded
Cheesy Mac + Smoked BBQ Pork + Carmelized Onions
Many have seen this gluttonous sandwich featured on Food Network. Exactly what it's name says, the Fully Loaded nearly filled me up in three quick bites that I had to take it home. The southern inspired meal-in-a-sandwich definitely lived up to the hype. I'm glad we tried this one within a few minutes of crossing the cheese gates, because the lines for all three of their locations looked like a mile long by the time 1pm rolled around. 

Cynthia Washburn definitely had the most tantalizing and tastiest sounding menu. We wanted to try everything listed, mostly the Bacon Mexican Chocolate Brownies, but by the time we reached the front of the line, the brownies and blondies were gone. We were given some crumbs, though.
MY FAVORITE concoction of the day: Cynthia Washburn's Risotto Melta
Buffalo Mozarella + Fontina + Grana Padana + Lemon Capered Pesto Risotto
Inside this deep fried sphere was a lemon infused risotto that I couldn't get enough off. The herbed, deep fried crust complimented the creamy, gooey risotto; and the combination of cheeses danced happily in my mouth. I never tried Grana Padana, but now I'm inclined to search around the markets so I can taste it on its own.
Cynthia Washburn's Croque Senor
Jamon Serrano + Manchego + Membrillo & Sage; Battered and Fried
Another Washburn creation, the fried portion of the sandwich reminded me more of French toast. When I read "battered and deep fried," I assumed something along the lines of a Monte Cristo. But this classically French sandwich, with a Spanish spin was still delightful, with the Manchego and Membrillo (a quince paste from Spain) setting it apart from the norm.
The Daily Dose's Elvis
Mascarpone Cheese + Nutella + Caramelized Honey + Vietnamese Cinnamon
+ Candied Bananas + Maple Cured Bacon on Pan de Mie
Congratulations Daily Dose, you made, hands down, the best dessert sandwich at the GCI. A teaspoon or so of peanut butter added in and this sandwich would be a perfect, Shortcake dessert. Wordy descriptions would be superfluous. Just feast your eyes on the sweetness, and you're set.
Inside the best way to end the cheese-infested day
I'm happy to say I was not cheesed out by the end of the samplings and feasting. The increased sodium and sugar spike in my body is probably what made my brain crave cheese even more. Luckily, my tummy knows when enoughs enough. Even though I probably ate double than normal, the scrumptious-ness of all the cheesy delicacies elicited far more satisfaction than regret. Until next year, GCI. In the meantime, I'm going to attempt some of the dishes I missed out on...
- Shortcake

No comments:

Post a Comment